kcm_tablet - KDE Wacom tablet management
Jörg Ehrichs
2010-03-01 17:45:52 UTC
Hi everyone,

I have created a small configuration and management application for Wacom
tablets and touch screens.

Any tablet supported by the Wacom Linux driver can be managed by this module.
It provides a small KCModule to set up different profiles, a daemon to manage
hot plug and device detection support as well as the profiles and a plasma
applet that allows to switch between the profiles easily and change the
rotation and pen mode on-the-fly. See also [1]

I've committed the files into KDE playground (see
trunk/playground/base/kcm_tablet) as I consider it feature complete and stable
enough to be included into KDE SC 4.5.

I like to move it into trunk/kdebase/workspace/kcontrol later on if no one
else knows a better place for it. (This is where the mouse/keyboard/joystick
modules are as well).

Any comments on this, or can I start to move this into kdereview?

Regards,
Jörg Ehrichs

[1] http://kde-
apps.org/content/show.php/kcm+tablet?action=content&content=114856
Boudewijn Rempt
2010-03-01 19:18:29 UTC
Post by Jörg Ehrichs
Any comments on this, or can I start to move this into kdereview?
I haven't looked at the code yet, but a wacom kcm has been wish
of mine for a long time :-)

Boudewijn
Albert Astals Cid
2010-03-01 22:05:20 UTC
Post by Jörg Ehrichs
[...]
I'd like you first to use a less generic name for your libs/po files, tablet
is too broad and it will collide very easily with something else.

Also you put the po folder there that is not where it belongs, i'll be fixing
this for you in a few moments.

Albert
Jörg Ehrichs
2010-03-02 07:32:00 UTC
Post by Albert Astals Cid
I'd like you first to use a less generic name for your libs/po files,
tablet is too broad and it will collide very easily with something else.
Would "wacomtablet" be a better name for it?
Post by Albert Astals Cid
Also you put the po folder there that is not where it belongs, i'll be
fixing this for you in a few moments.
Thanks for fixing it. I wasn't sure if the po files belong into the i10n folders
for the playground apps as well. Just saw there is an extra section for
everything.

Jörg
Albert Astals Cid
2010-03-03 18:45:30 UTC
Post by Jörg Ehrichs
Post by Albert Astals Cid
I'd like you first to use a less generic name for your libs/po files,
tablet is too broad and it will collide very easily with something else.
Would "wacomtablet" be a better name for it?
I'd prefer something like kwacomtablet or wacomtablet_kde

Albert
Jörg
Markus
2010-03-03 21:19:27 UTC
Post by Albert Astals Cid
I'd like you first to use a less generic name for your libs/po files,
tablet is too broad and it will collide very easily with something else.
Why no generic name? If anyone steps up and extends it to support other
manufacturers, "wacom" in the name makes no sense.

Markus
Jörg Ehrichs
2010-03-04 00:21:23 UTC
Post by Markus
Post by Albert Astals Cid
I'd like you first to use a less generic name for your libs/po files,
tablet is too broad and it will collide very easily with something else.
Why no generic name? If anyone steps up and extends it to support other
manufacturers, "wacom" in the name makes no sense.
Just for the record. The module especially the get/set methods for any value
from/to the tablet device is done with an interface and thus very easy and
clean to expand to any other driver that might be available in the future.

Right now it does not work for any other driver than the wacom one, because I
don't know any other tablet driver that could be used here.

At the end I couldn't care less about the name of it and if the simple name
"tablet" might collide with something else I'm fine with renaming it to
something else.

Jörg

Ryan Rix
2010-03-01 20:38:21 UTC
Post by Jörg Ehrichs
I have created a small configuration and management application for Wacom
tablets and touch screens.
Hi Jörg,

I've been meaning to mail you regarding this, but it's fallen down my todo;
I've been looking to package kcm_tablet in fedora, and have been playing with
it. Currently, it does not work with my thinkpad x200 tablet, saying that it
cannot find the tablet. Looking at your code (the tarball from kde-apps, I
can't check out from svn currently, or i'd look there) you've hardcoded the
tablet device names as "stylus" and "eraser".

In the case of my tablet, for whatever reason the devices are
"Wacom Serial Tablet PC Pen Tablet/Digitizer" and
"Wacom Serial Tablet PC Pen Tablet/Digitizer eraser", which naturally cannot
be found by those hardcoded values. Now, these devices also fail in xsetwacom
--list, because they aren't named "stylus" and "eraser" but I still feel that
in the case that kcm_tablet doesn't detect any input devices that it could
have a small override button "manually select device" or something, that would
have a list of devices from xinput --list to choose from. Please let me know
off list if you'd like some more information regarding this

Other wise, the code looks good, imo :)

Ryan
--
Ryan Rix
Christoph Feck
2010-03-01 23:58:23 UTC
Post by Jörg Ehrichs
Any tablet supported by the Wacom Linux driver can be managed by this module.
I have not tried the new version yet (maybe you remember me with the Tablet
PC detection problems :) but I am all for having it in KDE. Maybe it is even
possible to combine gesture recognitition with touch screen setup, so that we
are not forced to use Apples patented gestures, but allow the user to freely
define them.
Post by Jörg Ehrichs
Any comments on this, or can I start to move this into kdereview?
There are fairly big changes coming to Wacom support in xorg, namely the
linuxwacom project will die, and xorg will get its own driver. As long as you
are willing to maintain it at least until the transition is made, I see no
problem having it in KDE.

Since this is a tool with limited user base, it should be possible to
optionally build and install it (probably mostly packaging foo).

A single issue strikes me: the images folder. I am not sure if is needed to
have images of all the different tablets. The folder adds a lot space to the
package size. Either the one the user has connected is supported, or it is
not. Simply showing the Oxygen tablet icon is enough IMHO. And what is the
source/legal status of the images?

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)
Jörg Ehrichs
2010-03-02 08:00:30 UTC
Post by Christoph Feck
I have not tried the new version yet (maybe you remember me with the Tablet
PC detection problems :) but I am all for having it in KDE. Maybe it is
even possible to combine gesture recognitition with touch screen setup, so
that we are not forced to use Apples patented gestures, but allow the user
to freely define them.
As far as I understand the gesture recognition in KDE it is based on mouse
input. Shouldn't be any difference if this comes from the stylus or the mouse
to work correctly. If there is anything I can do to improve this. I'm glad to
do it.
Post by Christoph Feck
There are fairly big changes coming to Wacom support in xorg, namely the
linuxwacom project will die, and xorg will get its own driver. As long as
you are willing to maintain it at least until the transition is made, I
see no problem having it in KDE.
This won't be a show stopper at all. I will maintain this package for a long
time.
Post by Christoph Feck
Since this is a tool with limited user base, it should be possible to
optionally build and install it (probably mostly packaging foo).
Right now I like to have this in kdebase-workspace. So I guess it will be
installed by default on any system. Isn't it just a packaging issue and thus
"just" the decision of the distribution to install it by default or not?
If I need to change something code or location wise I like to hear it.
Post by Christoph Feck
A single issue strikes me: the images folder. I am not sure if is needed to
have images of all the different tablets. The folder adds a lot space to
the package size. Either the one the user has connected is supported, or
it is not. Simply showing the Oxygen tablet icon is enough IMHO.
This is an bigger issue yes. Most images are just fancy gimmicks and can be
removed without any harm. There are also images of the button layout that
indicate which button on the tablet is called "Button 1" or "Button 8".
If you have any better idea how to help the user to find out what button he has
to define I could remove the other images as well.
(Right now the images don't have any numbers on it either, which does mean
they are a bit pointless as well and I never get any complains about it. I
might just see a problem that does not exist)
Post by Christoph Feck
And what is the source/legal status of the images?
Good question. Sadly I have no idea. The images are from the Gnome version of
this config module. This might be a problem I never thought about it before.

Jörg